Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Egg Hill Church

    
     There is a church in Potter Township, Centre County that has been a "hot spot" for paranormal investigators and thrill seekers alike. For a good ghost story a perfect setting is needed, and Egg Hill delivers that setting. First, the church is in a remote site. Secondly, it is old; built-in 1860.Thirdly, it looks creepy; made of unfinished pine on a stone foundation. Finally, it hasn't been in regular use since the 1920's. So lets recap, a church in the middle of nowhere that has not been regularly used and is undoubtedly visually eerie, no wonder so many stories have circulated about it being haunted.

    The most well-known story about Egg Hill is of the supposed mass murder that took place their. The story is ever evolving and is not very consistent. That being said, the story I have gathered goes like this. At the turn of the century in the 1800's, the pastor at that time killed his whole congregation and disposed of the bodies in the near by woods. Other stories say that the pastor only killed the children of the parish. He reportedly would kill them one by one under mysterious circumstances and got away with the murders. Then one day fretting that he would be discovered, he hung himself in the church. These are the largest circulated tales but many other versions exist. I could not find any records of any mass deaths in the area at the time when the church was regularly used. Again this little church just seems unfortunately in the right place for urban legends. Stories include: a murder, phantom bell ringing, apparitions hovering in the near by grave yard, and spirits following your car home as you leave. Normally I am an avid believer in paranormal happenings; however, in this instance very little factual evidence could be found to credit the claims made about Egg Hill. If Egg Hill has any supernatural happenings at all, I believe they reside in the cemetery beside the old one-story church.
     My many experiences at Egg Hill have been pretty fruitless. I have been to this location in the day time to get a better idea of the surroundings and at night. I do admit that it does give off a weird vibe even in daylight. Many of the old grave markers are worn and unreadable. The church is locked from the outside and "No Trespassing" signs mark the outside of the building. During my nighttime experiences, there have been eerie noises coming from the church. They could be easily dismissed as the building settling. However, some unexplainable voices have come from the cemetery while taking pictures that I can not explain. Overall if there is any paranormal activity at this location I believe it minor and in no way related to the folklore about Egg Hill.

    The easiest way to get to Egg hill is to take Rt. 144 north from State College and make a Left on Upper Georges Valley Rd. Approximately after 1 mile you take a right on Egg Hill Rd. The church is about a mile up the hill. A warning that he property is Privately owned and Permission is needed to be on the grounds. Although, most of the church and graveyard is visible from the road.

4 comments:

  1. That place, by far, is the most horrifying place I've ever been to. I took pictures and went into the basement. I got evps and they are so unsettling that I actually have been investigating since then. I was truly terrified of what I heard on my recording. I'll never go back

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if the history is true but I know that if you decide to go again please be careful. There is definitely something there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This church was where my Grandmother went to church growing up in the 1910-19. Many of her forefathers are buried in the cemetery. I have visited the site and found nothing queer about it on the lovely summer day I visited. My Grandmother's brother used to take care of the cemetery and complain that college students would desecrate the graveyard so he would guard the area some nights. I always thought perhaps the reputation of "spirits" just might be my grand uncle out there trying to keep the "kids" away. There is no truth to the murder or of a murdering preacher as far as I have ever heard. The Hennigh family are some of the oldest graves in the back. Several fought in the Revolutionary War. The church closed because they could no longer afford supporting a minister because it was so far out in the country and so few people attended following WWI. I know her father who was a farmer in the area moved into Center Hall after his second wife died and he could no longer take care of his farm. Thought you might enjoy another view of Egg Hill Church.

    ReplyDelete