Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pulpit Rocks

  

   While driving through Huntingdon county, I came across an outcropping of rocks along Alexandria Pike Road. Like so many of my blogs, I had just stubble upon another piece of history. It surprises me how many things are almost in my backyard, but I have went through a great part of my life never knowing they were there. When I approached the rocks on the side of the road, a plaque gave me just about all the information I needed on the area. Pulpit Rocks, as its named, is part of a rock formation nearly 390 million years old. The pillars of sandstone were part of the first geological survey of Pennsylvania which was published in 1858. It is now owned by Juniata College and heirs of the Eisenberg family. The college uses it as a teaching tool for geology. It is also used for rock rappelling and training.  



No comments:

Post a Comment