Friday, October 18, 2013

Peace Chapel

     
      While searching Huntingdon county for a few small attractions, a place called Peace Chapel caught my attention. Peace chapel is a small site in the hills outside of Juniata College. The landscape was designed in 1988 by Maya Lin, who is better known to have designed the Vietnam Veterans
Trail Leading to Main Site
Memorial in Washington D.C. The site is made up of two different structures. The first is a 40-foot circle consisting of granite blocks with a hollowed out center, which resembles a very large fire pit. On an adjacent hill, a large granite disk overlooks the first structure.
      Peace chapel was remarkably easy to access, considering how it eluded my attention for years. A simple entry into my GPS brought me to a little gravel parking lot with a sign welcoming me. After a short walk up the lone trail, I arrived to my destination. A wonderful view of the countryside could be seen in this 360 degree vista. Besides a few hikers and dog walkers, as you may have guessed the site was rather peaceful. I hope to return in the autumn to take in all of the promising beauty Peace Chapel has to offer.
Stone at the Beginning of the Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment